- Economic Development continues to be a top priority for this administration with the goal of building a new Virginia Economy. Our office is supporting this initiative by overseeing the Agriculture and Forestry Industries Development Fund (AFID).The AFID Fund was created during the 2012 session of the General Assembly and is being embraced by the McAuliffe Administration as an important tool in growing the Commonwealth’s agriculture and forestry sector and helping to make Virginia the leading exporter of agricultural and forest products on the East Coast. More information about the AFID grant, which has the flexibility to assist projects large and small throughout Virginia, can be found at http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/agribusiness/afid.shtml
Leadership and Stakeholder Development
- Leadership is necessary to support, conduct, and maintain the many projects and initiatives related to agricultural and forestry industries around the Commonwealth as we recognize that issues facing our industry today are increasingly complex. The Secretariat works to support community-based leadership by growing the presence of agricultural development officers and boards, showcase the work of industry leaders, and support a pipeline of future leaders through student organizations and leadership development programs. In turn, we leverage future success toward education, technology, health, business, trade, and innovation.
Technology and Innovation
- Technological advancement is extremely rapid. Growth and application for agricultural and forestry industry sectors are particularly robust. With direct impacts on production practice, product development, business development, and education and career development to address complex tech –based problems and solutions, the Secretariat works to encourage and showcase innovation and advancement around agricultural technology.
- Virginia agricultural exports, which also include forestry products, continue to be sought and valued by global markets. Virginia's agricultural exports are competitive in the global marketplace because of the high quality and diversity of products available for export and the Commonwealth’s excellent sea, air, and land port system. Governor McAuliffe’s strategic plan in agriculture and forestry for continuing to grow Virginia’s economy includes helping existing agribusinesses expand operations, recruiting new agribusinesses to Virginia, expanding international markets for Virginia products, and making strategic investments in rural infrastructure that support job growth in these areas. With more than thirty percent of gross farm income linked to exports, access to vibrant international markets is important to Virginia’s future economic prosperity as we position ourselves to be the largest exporter on the East Coast.
Craft Beverage Industry
- Under Governor McAuliffe’s leadership, Virginia is building its reputation as the top destination for craft beverages on the East Coast. Virginia’s craft beverage industry contributes over a two billion dollar economic impact to the Commonwealth each year. Around the state, wineries, breweries, distilleries, cideries, and meaderies are increasing their local connection by sourcing Virginia-grown agriculture products to create a unique terroir, or taste of place. With more than 280 wineries, 190 breweries, and 40 distilleries – Virginia is fully leveraging our natural resources and long history in agriculture to create value-added products in a high-growth industry.
Harrisonburg December 12, 2017
Governor McAuliffe Hosts First Ever Governor’s Smart Farm Summit
Governor McAuliffe today hosted the inaugural Governor’s Smart Farm Summit in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The goal of the summit is to keep agriculture at the forefront of Virginia’s industries. The event drew participants that included farmers,
Richmond November 20, 2017
Governor McAuliffe Announces $750,000 Investment in City of Virginia Beach
Governor Terry McAuliffe announced today that Farmhouse Cidery will open the region’s largest hard cider production facility in the City of Virginia Beach. The company will create nine new jobs, invest $750,000, and purchase nearly 3 million pounds
Richmond November 17, 2017
Governor McAuliffe Celebrates 6th Annual Virginia Cider Week
Governor Terry McAuliffe will join members of the cider industry to celebrate Virginia Cider Week this evening at Blue Bee Cider’s Pop-Up Bluegrass Show beginning at 5:30 p.m. Governor McAuliffe has declared November 10-19, 2017 Virginia Cider Week,
Richmond November 08, 2017
Governor McAuliffe Leads Trade and Marketing Mission to Europe
Governor Terry McAuliffe will lead a six-day trade and marketing mission to Europe from November 8-13, 2017. The delegation will visit the United Kingdom, Denmark, and Germany. This mission marks the Governor’s 35th trade and marketing mission.More News